HOW TO: Stick to Your Eating Plan While Traveling!August 8, 2017
Let’s face it. We have been conditioned to be a society based on ease and convenience. We have become used to a grab and go mentality when it comes to eating. Drive throughs, prepackaged meals you can grab at any convenience store, individualized snack packages, all of it makes it easiest to eat processed unhealthy foods rather than keep yourself on track. It can feel like the cards are sometimes stacked against you, especially if you spend time on the road for work or traveling.
Though it may at first thought seem daunting to try and travel with food, the reality of it is that not only is it easier than trying to find healthy items on the go, it is the most convenient option there is once you are properly prepared.
If you are traveling by car you can very easily take all of your food with you. Unless you have ever spent time around those who are serious about their food intake and physical training you likely don’t even know these bags exist. They are far better than your average cooler and specially designed to hold individual meals such as those through Superfitfoods.co.
Shopping online you can find them through a number of sources, one we have used and recommend is made by 6 Pack Fitness. It is durable, strong, roomy and keeps food cold for extended periods of time thanks to the insertable, reusable ice packs. They come in a range of styles and sizes to fit your needs from travel for a weekend, to backpacking, even cases perfect for a professional day at the office. Many bag sizes fit in the carryon compartment in the majority of airliners so even if you are flying, that should not deter you from your nutritional goals.
1. Grab some hard boiled eggs. These make an incredible protein packed snack. If whole eggs do not fit into your daily macros, snack on the egg whites and toss the yolk. Each egg white contains 3.6grams of protein and virtually no fat.
2. Fat Free Greek Yogurt (8oz) – add in 1 cup of berries and a tablespoon of almonds for flavor and texture.
3. Quest Protein Bars – These come in a huge assortment of flavors. They are nutritionally balanced and can keep your energy as a great occasional meal substitute.
4. Go Nuts! – Cashews, Almonds, Macadamia Nuts, Pecans, Walnuts – all are healthy fats and high in protein.
5. Protein Shake – Pre portion shaker cups at home, toss them in your bag. Just add water and shake! This is a great way to make sure you meet your protein requirements daily with no hassle. Keep in mind that shakes are a supplement. Your main source of protein needs to come from whole foods.
6. Beef or Turkey Jerky – Tasty, healthy, filling and easy to carry. These are a must have for car trips, plane flights, and even backpacking.
7. Liquid Egg Whites – Gross!? You may be thinking – But many bodybuilders actually drink egg whites. It is an instant, easily digestible form of protein that you can grab on the go from any grocery store. When cold and right out of the fridge, drinking them actually tastes pretty good!
8. Rice Cakes with or without peanut butter – Rice cakes can satisfy that need to crunch without extra calories, fats or preservatives.
Life requires movement. Travel is inevitable. Don’t let a change to your daily routine get in the way of your nutrition and fitness goals. When you learn the tips and tricks the pros use, life gets abundantly easier. So grab a bag, place your food order, pack up and let’s get going! You can do this!
Your Meal Prep Company
P.S. Where have people seen you in a Superfit Foods T-shirt? Tag us in your post! Having the Superfit Foods name and logo seen in public is our easiest form of advertising and wearing our shirts gets us visibility all over Jacksonville and even further. So the next time you wear something with the Superfit Foods name or logo to a place of interest, take a photo and tag @superfit_foods.
Don’t have a shirt? Let us know - we will give you one for your next trip!